Lyesmith's Top 10 Villains

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKxHpLZHQOs]

I thought I'd take a break from comic reviews and do something just for fun. And we all know how much I love to give my opinion, so I decided to give my Top Ten Villains! It was hard to choose just ten, but I feel good about this line-up and I think you all will enjoy it. Feel free to post with additions, comments, or even your own Top Ten! And if I've got someone up here you can't stand or think is lame, SAY SO! Let's hear it.

 

Now, without further ado....

 

Villain Number 10



Azazel from Supernatural. Many actors portrayed this character, but none like Fredric Lehne. I've seen him in other stuff and have always been a fan, and this guy really brought this character to the forefront and made him a force to be reckoned with. His timing and attitude made it impossible to hate Azazel despite him being so nefarious. If you haven't watched this show, you've got to pick it up just to watch Fredric Lehne as Azazel. The things Azazel orchestrated to bring his plans about... truly nefarious.

 

Favorite Quote: I’ll make certain that they both live long enough to know the chewy taste of their own intestines.

 

Villain Number 9



Magneto of the X-Men. Now I'm sure to get crap for putting him at Number 9, but it's mostly because he's at the top of EVERYONE'S Top Ten list. And with good reason. He's not evil for the sake of being evil. He's not EVIL at all. He's been angry and misguided, but his ultimate goal is peace for mutants. Sometimes that's meant at the destruction of Mankind, but if you wanna make an omelet, you have to have a little genocide. .... I think that's how it goes. His determination to see Mutants at the top of the food chain is.... Uncanny. (Haha, see what I did there? Damn, I'm witty.) Sometimes it's easy to forget what a badass Magneto can be. Ian McKellen brought some vulnerability and emotion to the character, which was a great view of Magneto, but I think it made him seem a little fragile towards the end of the movie series. Michael Fassbender brought back some the edge and lunacy back to Magneto that I've been missing. And the Magneto: Not A Hero mini series really nailed it home. (I did a review on that. You read it, right?)

Favorite Quote: The thing none of you will ever understand is that there are no sides. There are no heroes or villains. There's just what I want and how I'll get it.

 

Villain Number 8



The Kurgan from Highlander. (Credit for picture goes to http://euclase.deviantart.com/ Amazing stuff.) How can you not love this guy? His complete disregard for anyone or anything makes him so. much. fun. He makes an awesome villain for MacLeod, killing his mentor, raping his wife, following him for centuries, looking to take his head, and the prize. I don't what he does, Clancy Brown make an amazing villain. His voice, his attitude, that look in his eyes... like he's going to cause you pain, and when you die, you'll be grateful for it. Highly over-looked as a villain, in my opinion.

 

 

Favorite Quote: Father! Forgive me. I... am a worm.

 

 

Villain Number 7



Zoom. I'm not a big Flash fan. He's good, don't get me wrong. He's a great addition to any team, not just for his powers, but no matter which Flash it is, he's the conscience of the team. His rogues gallery sucks. Lame villains all around. Though I will give props to Captain Cold, he's gotten cooler in recent years. Wait, a minute, is this about Flash or Zoom!? Stay on topic! Zoom is THE villain for Flash. Not only can he keep up with Flash powers-wise, his ultimate goal is to make Flash a better hero. Even if it means being the worst villain, pushing Flash and making him, according to Zoom, better. You gotta love that logic.

 

Favorite Quote: I was a man broken down – Who gained these extraordinary powers to become free. You. You are the opposite. You were a free man who was given extraordinary powers – and now you must be broken down.

 

 

Villain Number 6

 



Doctor Doom. Now, he's another staple of Top Ten Villain lists, but there's just something about old Vic that I really like. Another misguided soul, not necessarily evil. I love the way he's always one step ahead of everyone else. If Batman was a bad guy, he'd be Doctor Doom. I always felt he was wasted as an FF Villain, and loved him as a secondary villain for Thor.

Favorite Quote: ... I am more than amused by the prospect of a battle of wits ... though I fear that with you as an opponent... the struggle might well be brief.

 

 

Villain Number 5



Lucifer from The Prophecy. He may not be the MAIN villain of the movie, but damn is he scary! Viggo Mortensen is an amazing actor. Everyone loves him for Aragorn from LOTR, and he did an amazing job with him. But Viggo as the Devil? I BELIEVED that. He terrifies me. If you haven't seen this cult classic, DO SO. The sequels get kinda iffy, but the first one is amazing.

Favorite Quote: Little Tommy Daggett. How I loved listening to your sweet prayers every night. And then you'd jump in your bed, so afraid I was under there. And I was!

 

OR

Favorite Quote: I can lay you out and fill your mouth with your mother's feces, or we can talk

Villain Number 4



Sinestro. Such an awesome villain. Right up there with Zoom. He wanted to control the universe, order it, through fear. He created his Corps to make the Green Lantern Corps better. Stronger. To push them into doing what needed to be done to bring order. He changed things forever. Now that he's back in green, he's just as cool. He was the best part of the GL movie, hands down. In Blackest Day, in Brightest Night, beware your fears made into light! Let those who try to stop what's right, burn like my power, Sinestro's might!

 

Favorite Quote: Anyone responsible for harming the people of Korugar in any way, yellow ring or not -- will answer to me as Mongul will. With their blood.

 

 

Villain Number 3



The Joker. Yes, one more essential villain to a Top Ten list. His love for chaos and anarchy are unmatched. I'm not sure he's really insane, he just does things so people think he is. The Dark Knight did a great job of re-envisioning the character. Heath Ledger was way beyond anything I expected. But my favorite Joker will always be Mark Hamil. That laugh, that attitude, sends chills down your spine. It helps that I grew up with him as the voice for the Joker. The Arkham games did a wonderful job of blending Mark and Heath's Jokers into one character and making him truly scary.

 

Favorite Quote: I believe what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger.

OR

Favorite Quote: Do you punish your hired help who fail you, or is making him wear that saucy outfit punishment enough?

 

Villain Number 2



Dr. Horrible

How can you not love this guy?! All he wants to do is be a super-villain. Is that so bad? H e gets his wish, but at what cost? Is it worth it? I can't wait for the next installment of this. If you haven't watched it yet, I highly recommend it. It's something I still listen to at least once a week.

 

Favorite Quote: “It’s not about making money, it’s about taking money. Destroying the status quo because the status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.”

 

 

Villain Number 1



 

Best. Villain. Ever. God of Lies, Chaos, Magic, Fire, and Mischief. I love everything that has to do with this guy. His hatred for his adopted family and his real family alike. Every version and incarnation of Loki is amazing. Tom Hiddleston is the best Loki I could've hoped for. Truly awesome. Loki feels like he's gotten the short end of the stick his whole life. Never really a God, but loathing his Jotun family for everything they are. Never fitting in either place, and forever being an outcast, while Thor gets all the glory handed to him on a silver platter. See? He's not evil. Just misunderstood and neglected. ... Right?

 

 

 

Well, I hope you guys enjoyed this, and if I get some good feedback, I'll do a few more. What Top Tens do you want to see? Heroes? Sidekicks? Speak up and let me know what YOU geek out about!

Comments

  1. Oh son, I think you should have maybe done a division. Print villains vs tv/movie. I mean, how can you leave out the scariest bad guy ever? Tim Curry's clown, Pennywise, from IT. He gave us both nightmares for weeks! Also, speaking of the first Prophecy movie, Christopher Walken's Gabriel was terrifying and funny. Not everyone can pull that off! Saker from Bill Willingham's old Elementals comics...man, that guy was in fact pure evil. Most of the villains from that series were bigbads. Speaking of big bads.... Angelus? Okay, that does it. You need a top 10 print villains and a top 10 movie/tv villains. So there. :P Good post!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I like your choices bro but I'd switch some. I do like that you go really obscure with some of them like Lucifer from prophecy. Viggo did an excellent job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WORLD EXCLUSIVE Q&A w/ Creator of Browncoats: Independence War

SPOILERS: Review: Superman/WonderWoman #1 - Dexter #4 - Lyesmith

Spider-Man vs Batman