Jack 1979 (Issue 1) Review - Lyesmith




"A brand-new comic about a bad ass, monster hunting, time traveling, mustache wearing son of a bitch named Jack the Ripper."
That sentence ALONE should have you scrambling to support this comic, but in case it doesn't, have a review!
Jack1979 is brought to you by Writer Jon Paul Anthony Hart, Artist Davey Siddall and Colorist Joshua Jensen. The idea is that Jack the Ripper was framed. See, Jack is a monster hunter. Not the monster. He's protecting the world and the people he loves from the real monsters who are possessing prostitutes in 1888 London. What's the significance of '1979'? Well, you'll have to read and support the book to find out... Without giving too much away, I'm going to do my best to convince you why you need to support this comic.

Hart's writing and Siddall's art work in perfect symmetry to bring to life a vibrant and engaging world that's not just exciting, but fun even when dealing with death and murder and loss. Those of you Geeks and Geekettes who frequent the blog and podcast know I'm usually very picky and very particular about my art. I have certain tastes and it's something I'm trying more and more to broaden. But one of my bad habits when it comes to comic books is that I tend to pass up the more 'cartoon-y' art. Often they rely too heavily on the visual humor and slapstick silliness and what could have been a wonderful story gets lost in trying to be overly funny. I lose interest quickly. While Siddall's artwork does have a very cartoon-like feel to it, and keeps even the darker parts of stories light in a great way that just works
The review copy that we were so graciously and gratefully offered isn't colored yet, so I can't comment on Jensen's coloring, but the previews we've seen so far look great. I want to say, this un-colored un-inked copy was exciting and fun to read in ways I didn't expect it to be. Over the last year I've become a process junkie. I love seeing how comics are made and brought together. The evolution and steps taken it get to the finished product fascinate me, so this was a treat for me. 
But the real surprise came to my mind half way through the comic.  See, it's done in blues and reds. Check out this page they posted from their Twitter account (linked below, don't worry).


Half-way through reading this comic, I realized this reminded me a lot of an old 3-D book I had as a kid. It was an Alf book. But I digress. Upon reaching this realization, I remembered I have a pair of 3-D glasses that came with my Batman Arkham Asylum Game of the Year edition. So I slipped them on.  Holy Multiple Dimensions, Batman! Even the pages that are all in red, the text and sound effects are black, so it still creates this awesome 3-D effect that was so much fun, I read it once all the way through without, and then had to immediately read it again. This move was clearly unintentional by the creators, but it was a fun little addition to this read that made me giggle and feel like a kid. 

The over all feel of the book reminded me a lot of Crimson, the Cliffhanger/Wildstorm book from the late 90's early 2000s by Humberto Ramos and Brian Augustyn. Hart's dialogue is great; in one issue I was immediately attached to the main character and wrapped up in the mystery surrounding the antagonist. I don't have a single bad thing to say about this comic. I want to see this take off. I'd love to see this as an animated feature or even a video game. The world Hart and Siddall create together would lend itself so well to motion, in my not-so humble opinion.

Check the links below to follow/friend/stalk the awesome individuals that created this comic, and for updates and news and previews and all kinds of crazy-cool stuff coming out of the Jack1979 camp!

Be sure to head out to the Kickstarter page and support this comic! There's some amazing stuff coming out of Kickstarters and it's an exciting time for independent comic books. You want in on it! Donate whatever you can, just for bragging rights, to say you helped make this comic see the light of day, you helped make somebody's dream come true, you were on the ground-floor of something unique and incredible and truly awesome!
Jack 1979 Kickstarter Page

Twitter:
@jonpaulhart
@tehcrashedmedia
Facebook:
Jack1979Comic

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WORLD EXCLUSIVE Q&A w/ Creator of Browncoats: Independence War

Spider-Man vs Batman

SPOILERS: Review: Superman/WonderWoman #1 - Dexter #4 - Lyesmith