SPOILERS: Review: Uncanny X-Men 14



Welcome to another mid-week Mini Christmas, also called by it's lesser known title, Comic Book Wednesday.
Today we'll be reviewing UNcanny X-Men #14.

Writer: Brian Michael Bendis
Artist: Chris Bachalo


                  I think I have a new favorite gay comic book character. For the first time in a long time, I've found a character who just HAPPENS to be gay. It's not his entire identity. They didn't make a big fanfare about it. In fact, even in the book, the response to the character's declarative over his sexuality is "I don't care. What does this have to do with this?" Emma Frost, I love you all over again. Mr. Benjamin Deeds, I adore you as well, sir. I am excited to learn more about this guy, I am excited to see more from him, and I love this book. Bendis handled this BEAUTIFULLY. Bendis handled this the way the vast majority of gay characters SHOULD be handled. THANK YOU, SIR. 

                    I have a problem with Chris Bachalo, as I may have mentioned in previous reviews. I first encountered Bachalo's artwork as an older child, not yet in my teens, during Generation-X, which will always be one my favorite comic books. Terrible tv-movie. Great comic. That being said, in recent years, I've had a huge issue with Bachalo's style. I'm not sure what the change was. Him or me. But this issue? No problems. I'm not getting the big-nosed, lumpy characters with random rocks floating and clinging to things that I've noticed before. I don't know if this is an actual change, or if my tastes have yet again shifted. I'm sure the more likely scenario is that Chris is a reader of Geekin', heard my grievances with his work, and adjusted accordingly. Well, Mr. Bachalo, job well done, sir. I am pleased with this book. Keep this up. 


                     The book starts off with physical training of Cyclops' X-Men, no powers allowed, climbing through mud, to reach the top of a hill. Wonderfully snarky comments from Emma and Magick, Cyclops acting like a douche, and bitching from the teenagers. All is well and right again in the world of X-Men. Benjamin Deeds struggles with the task and has a confrontation with Cyclops, where actual fists are thrown. After proving his point; everyone needs training, and especially Ben, who's powers aren't helpful in a physical situation, needs to learn how to overcome issues without resorting to powers. 
                    Emma sees other ways to train Mr. Deeds. She takes him to Atlanta City and orders him to hit on a woman at the bar. He was doesn't want to. "I'm gay." he says. So what? She's not asking him to sleep with her. Just exorcise his powers, which Emma believes are more than just physically shifting into another person - she thinks Ben can actually affect how people feel around him, using their own attributes against them, making them feel more comfortable and familiar around him. After a little trial and error, he gets it and uses his powers to get him out of a bad situation.
                     Pushing his powers for the sake of training, Emma sends him into a building to deliver a little, handing it to the intended party, without raising suspicion. He completes the task with flying colors - until the recipient of the letters reads it, and it turns out to be a SHIELD facility and a threatening note from Cyclops. Scott congratulates Mr. Deeds on a job well done and declares him officially an X-Man.
                     This book was full of humor, lots of wonderfully small moments, and I think I'm growing into a really big Bendis fan. Sue me.





As always, hit us up on the Geekinpodcast FB Page and Geekinpodcast Twitter and let us know what you thought of this issue, how a gay character should be handled, and your feelings on Mr. Bendis.

KEEP GEEKIN'!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WORLD EXCLUSIVE Q&A w/ Creator of Browncoats: Independence War

Spider-Man vs Batman

SPOILERS: Review: Superman/WonderWoman #1 - Dexter #4 - Lyesmith